Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Secret Wish List - Book review

Book: The Secret Wish List
Author : Preeti Shenoy
Pages : 260
Published by : Westland Publishers

I finished the book in 4 days. I took so long as frankly it didn't keep me glued to it. Unlike other books by Preeti Shenoy I have to say this one is boring , monotonous and repetitive . Opening of the book is good where school days are described. Story oscillates between present and past. The narration takes you back to school grounds and the teenage infatuations but after that I was just waiting for the end. I knew the end but had to finish it as I wanted to see if there is a twist!I would love to see a damsel not in distress the next time she writes a book. Its always a troubled woman who ultimately becomes strong and faces the world.

The protagonist Diksha is trapped in her married life and is seeking peace and real happiness. You feel connected to her but the way the events turn out its much more like a movie to me. The moment the book becomes a movie I lose interest. Every thing happens like she wants all of a sudden and her romance blooms which in real life is actually tough. The circumstances and the chances are co operative and she again finds her old love. Frankly too many lines were repetitive. After meeting her teenage love Ankit she keeps on saying the same things all over again. I know it happens in love but to read it in book was a bit boring !Few characters got dissolved in the mid. I thought there is some thing more to the character Vibha who is Diksha's cousin. Compared to the previous books this definitely was not up to the mark. It is like reading a similar story again. I loved Life is what you make it and felt Tea for two and a piece of cake was OK! This book is a time pass read and as it is the fourth book may be I expected a lot. I was expecting a story where lead roles would be doing all adventurous things in the wish list and not a woman oriented book where there are relationship or marital problems again.


Few bits I liked are the Salsa and the details, the mother in law who seemed extremely understanding and sweet. Such characters again are rare species in real life. I mean there are mothers who support even rapist sons so I don't think a mother in-law will support a daughter in-law immediately if she wants to walk out of a marriage. I liked the way places and localities are described. I liked the concept of writing down a secret wish list and ya I loved the cover page which lead to my great expectations.

My rating : 2/5

Lastly if you are travelling you may take this book with you. It will make a good companion for a short journey :)

Happy weekend

12 comments:

  1. I also loved this book :)

    Have you read other books by Preeti? My personal favourite is Life is what you make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually I didnt like this book Privy :) Thats wat I said in the review
      the only book I liked is Life is what U make it

      Delete
    2. I noticed that dear.... I meant to say I loved this book.."also" was something inadvertent.

      Sorry!

      But I loved this as a light read and some things were well handled.Like you mentioned -

      "Few bits I liked are the Salsa and the details, the mother in law who seemed extremely understanding and sweet. Such characters again are rare species in real life. I mean there are mothers who support even rapist sons so I don't think a mother in-law will support a daughter in-law immediately if she wants to walk out of a marriage. I liked the way places and localities are described. I liked the concept of writing down a secret wish list and ya I loved the cover page which lead to my great expectations."

      Delete
  2. I am no great fan of PS . She does write in an easy language , but that is it . I find many of her characters highly superficial and she romanticizes issues like extra marital affairs and divorce which in reality leave a trail of muddy footsteps behind them . Also all the three books of hers seemed like desi versions of M&B romances to me . Yes even "Life is Like That" . Ankita's character called for a lot more depth and complexity . You are right when you say this book would be good while traveling ...Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya what U said is true but I liked life is what u make it. It was OK compared to the rest ! and that desi version thing is good.
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. I've never read any of her works Afshan. Guess I must :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hv read her blog but not he rbook. A quick glance thru at the book shop dint sound promising!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read her books and won't be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally I meet someone who agrees that Piece of Cake was just ok!!!! Staying away from this. I had major issues with POC so this to I won't like for sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read her first three books and I liked her stories. I have bought the Secret Wish List, though havent read it as yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The moment the book becomes a movie I lose interest." Totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review. Heard similar one from friends. I stopped reading her books, I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about this ? I always love to hear back. A comment or a brickbat boosts me to write more but the mud slinging shall be promptly vacuumed.

Thanks for your time :)

"When God Spoke to Me!"

Is it for the love of God, you do what you do? Or is it your hunger to wake up something sleeping within you? What do you mean to do with th...